Saturday, December 4, 2010

Furnace Polarity Reversed

CRISAFULLI

BUT IF YOU LISTEN TO PATIENTS?

Salvatore Crisafulli has 38 years when the 11 September 2003 is involved in a terrible car accident. Unconscious, Salvatore breathes with a tube inserted in his neck, his arms are reconstructed in the operating room, has a severe fracture to the spine, given the serious brain damage is irreparable.



Doctors, experts and luminaries of any neurological rehabilitation center and Italian foreign state that the Saviour is a vegetative state "permanent", without any possibility of recovery or improvement, which has no hope of life and that will not last more few years. Before

dell'incidenteI doctors say that Salvatore can not understand, not can hear, can not speak, if he raises his head, while lowering his eyes, if eyes move, if it emits ways, this simple involuntary reflexes, are common to every poor man of his condition. It is totally unconscious and will remain so forever. The first hospital Salvatore Crisafulli, that in his region, the Centre studies Neurolesi of Messina, is a disastrous experience. Neglected altogether, is always found with catarrh and defecated on him coming out of the cannula of the tracheotomy, the head always turned to the left, which also provides him with a sore left ear.

Despite the protests and the regime does not change when his family decided to change it, wash it clean in person and note that also had sores on his back. But when changing the diaper witnessing a horrible sight and memorable: at the bottom of the back there is another terrible plague so far advanced and neglected to have turned into a huge hole 6 cm deep, from which even the leaked ' sacral bone. The transfer from the center, complete with a complaint, it is immediate. He began an ordeal that will last a long time. The family

Crisafulli, not at all wealthy, however, is in serious economic difficulties: physical effort as well as expenses that requires the Savior's disease are enormous. But there is no end to the worst, and so also one of the brothers of the Saviour is involved in a serious car accident, forced to stay in bed for a long period of convalescence. The family of Salvatore no longer possible for either economic or physical care of him. They launched several appeals for help on all major networks and national newspapers, to people, institutions. The other brother of Salvatore, Peter, even threatening to take him to die by euthanasia in Belgium if no one moves to help him. But this is just a desperate provocation, euthanasia is an option rejected by the family from the beginning Crisafulli, deeply Catholic.

Italy to assist each other shocked and pitying, but none ever will move hand to provide assistance. Left alone the country and institutions, the family Crisafulli is not entirely alone: \u200b\u200bto take the field at his side is the Catholic Church. The same Pope Benedict XVI asked to meet Salvatore and family audience in the Vatican, while the foundation of Don Oreste Benzi, Pope John XXIII Community, is offered to support the family with financial means and facilities. The problems of the Crisafulli family are over. But meanwhile, something extraordinary happened. In one of the last visits, this time with Arezzo, the medical diagnosis is clear: Salvatore is no longer a plant and has already regained consciousness for nearly two years. This is the Locked-In Syndrome (LIS) guess the effects are the same as the SLA, that is a stroke that immobilized his body, but leaves intact cognitive function. And 'the status of Piergiorgio Welby, the only difference between the two lies in two different causes and conditions that led them in that condition. From now on, Salvatore Crisafulli will return to communicate via a sophisticated computer scanning to identify letters through the movement of the head and eyes, choosing the right target. These are his words:


"After about seven months after the trauma felt and understood everything, I was hungry and thirsty, I could move my family around my bed, I wanted to draw their attention by shouting, but out of my mouth did not go out any sounds, the doctors were talking about permanent and irreversible vegetative state. I could hear the doctors say that my eye movements were just random, I was totally unaware that my death was only a matter of time, and began to open and close their eyes to attract the attention of those who was around me. I lived in fear. Slowly began the phase of my awakening, which traveled on two parallel planes, that physically staff, which gradually became aware of what had happened to me, slowly tasting my way back to life, and that extreme, in which I try to convince to those around me to be really still alive and well, but I was unable, a prisoner in my body I replied. "


Salvatore Crisafulli has succeeded in writing a book entitled" With eyes wide open. "Like thousands and thousands of patients of his condition throughout the world today and his last great struggle is against euthanasia, the great enemy against whom he launched his anathema:



"From my bed I almost raised to the life I try to make a small contribution to the debate on euthanasia.


Mine is the simple thought of those who have experienced untold physical and psychological suffering of those who came to touch the abyss beyond life but it was still alive, who has long been considered by science all over Europe without a plant can return among men and yet felt an irresistible desire to communicate to all its will to live.


During those interminable two years of captivity in my body and intubated without nerves, I was mute or was you, too wise and healthy men, the deaf? I thank my loved ones, alone against all, have never tired to keep alight the flame of communication with my broken body and broken my heart, my soul, but especially with this light remained intact and viable as I gave God.


thank those who, during my "plant life," he spoke as a man, comforted me as a friend, loved me as a son, a brother, father. But what is euthanasia, this death bad, bad, bad and unnatural disguise of kindness and raddled with grease paint a false beauty?


Where human solidarity would end if those who were around me during my suffering had been watching just pull the plug from the mechanical ventilator, ready to yield me as a trophy of death on the pretext that the My life did not stay more dignity?


But you, Dear Peter, challenged the science and statistics of large numbers and wander with me in your blood in hospitals and clinics for campers away. On TV and screaming threats and insults against the general indifference to my state of abandonment. And I whispered softly to the mother's lullaby "Dear brother mine," to me composed, played, sang and prayed for as harrowing hymn of love, but not farewell.


you remember that little newborn anencephalic Turin, gave birth prematurely and unnecessarily to give the organs and then die? Do you remember that from his hospital cot a cold day shook the finger of his mother, while doctors pretended that almost contemptuous affectionate gesture for a mechanical reflex, from withered leaf lettuce?


Well, Mom, when I covered him with kisses and prayers, I would have liked to hold his hand trembling, and wrinkled, but I could not to move or speak, I would just give you tears instead of sounds . Tears were despised by renowned neurologists and intensivists, large "experts" quality of life, but was the only possible way to stutter as a child my most authentic existence hymn offered as a gift from you and him.


Yes, life, that gift original, unique and divine that is not enough law or a white coat to take that away, even, somehow, a good end, with profanity in disguise of fake sweetness.

Believe me, life is worth living forever, even paralyzed, even intubated, also wounded and feverish. Around me, on my personal Mount Calvary has always met my little domestic church.

Mamma Angela, Marcello, Pietro, Santa, Francesca, Rita, Mariarita, Angela, Antonio, Rosalba, Jonathan, Agatino, Dominic Marcellino, are transfigured in my eyes wide open in the Madonna, the Magdalene, in Verona, Saint John, in Cyrene. I feel safe enough for them that no centurion charged will dare give me the hemlock and death. "




Salvatore Crisafulli

Source: Facebook page of Salvatore Crisafulli

0 comments:

Post a Comment